For Space/Sonic Fiction

Week 2 of seminars on dissertation/audio paper. The topic was idiosyncrasy and research as a practise.

It inspired me to think how can I expand on what I was reading last year for my essay, and how can I develop it with my audio paper. David’s take on the audio paper was very interesting, regarding his openness for how knowledge can take form. It gave me confidence in exploring and reading further into what he talked about. Two books in particular: Sonic Fiction and For Space, and also Investigative Aesthetics, the film Hyenas and the artist Cauleen Smith.

It will be my work next week to have a look at all these materials. Hopefully I would be able to come up with a precise essay question which I could locate the core theories and arguments, in time for the first tutorial with my supervisor.

This lecture also inspired me to look at my portfolio work in a different way. How do I construct space and through fictions express myself. To be expansive and concise within vagueness and openness. To fully realise an idea and drill into the core of the issue, then to be creative with the space I create for myself, to be architectural, to build.